Self catering family holiday cottages and a large holiday home
Orroland is such an adventure; children of all ages delight in exploring the extensive grounds. There is plenty here to keep your children occupied between trips out to the many family attractions and things to do in Dumfries and Galloway.
Orroland is suitable for all ages. We have a young family ourselves so are aware of the desire to ensure safe surroundings as well as fun ones. From the age of 2-4 children love running about on the paths and trails to the loch and sea shore and should manage the slope to the shore no problem (as long as you're not in a hurry of course!). All children love examining the creatures in the tide pools and older children will be in heaven swinging from ropes on the paths to the shore, building camps, dens and rafts out of driftwood and other treasures washed up on the shore.
Past the watchful eagle eyes
We came - to our surprise,
A cake! And logs galore,
We really couldn't ask for more.
Throughout November's wildest storm,
The cosy Rayburn kept us warm.
With lots of toys and space to play,
Hamish and Kirsty loved their stay.
We've had a week of peace and cheer
We hope to come again next year!
Sutherland family, Ayrshire/France (stayed at Abbotsway)
Abbotsway Cottage, Cutlar’s Lodge and Orroland Lodge have been planned and equipped to provide your family with a safe, fun base and the grown ups with some time for themselves. For help with meal planning take a look at our convenience page where you can get information about our catering partners; ready meals, grocery deliveries and more. Making it easy for you to enjoy your holiday!
Spacious living areas
- well equipped kitchens
- your own games room with pool table (free play) and table tennis (Abbotsway) or table football (Cutlar's) *
- fully enclosed garden at Cutlar’s; fully enclosed courtyard at Abbotsway; extensive private grounds down own drive with just your own traffic at Orroland Lodge
- Smart TVs: Abbotsway sitting room, games room and double bedroom. Cutlar's Lodge sitting room and games room. Orroland Lodge sitting room
- free fibre broadband
- CD/radio and MP3/iPod docking station
- toy boxes on request
- children’s books
- family board games
- baby kit - highchair, stair safety gate, 3-wheel all-terrain pushchair, backpack carrier – all can be borrowed free of charge, subject to availability.
- please bring your own travel cot (we provided one until coronavirus but considered you would now much prefer to bring your own.
- your family dog is also welcome!
* Orroland Lodge has a pool table in the dining room, no table tennis.
- Arrive to a tasty home-made cake and the tea things laid out.
- Nearby you’ll find family friendly pubs and cafés.
- Try our ready meals for delicious home cooked food delivered to the door so all you have to do is heat it up.
- Tesco.com and ASDA both deliver to Orroland.
- A number of specialist local suppliers will deliver their tasty produce to you during your stay, including veg boxes from our neighbouring market garden.
- We can normally arrange babysitting in case you want a night out without the children.
- Ask us if you would like some general help such as washing up, food preparation, extra house keeping during your stay.
- There is good shopping 15 – 20 minutes away in Castle Douglas and Kirkcudbright; lots of independent food outlets as well as a choice of supermarkets (Tesco and Co-op).
If you’re planning a holiday with children we’ve done the research for you. Dumfries and Galloway offers many children’s activities and lots of countryside fun, adventure activities & sports, family friendly visitor attractions and more.
We've had a brilliant two weeks. The cottage is very nice and welcoming. We have been down the rope to the sea. The games room was really cool, we had several pool tournaments and we played a lot of table tennis. Brown family, Derbyshire